This page is and always will be a work-in-progress. If there’s something missing that you think should be included, please contact me.
- NYC Board of Correction votes to approve new rules for solitary confinement. Jan 13, 2015, by @aintacrow
- Nell Bernstein & others discuss the end of juvenile incarceration. Jan 14, 2015, by @bsonenstein
Research & Studies
- The Dangerous Overuse of Solitary Confinement in the United States. ACLU, 8/2014.
- “Gaming the System: How the Political Strategies of Private Prison Companies Promote Ineffective Incarceration Policies.” Justice Policy Institute, 6/22/2011.
- “Report of The Sentencing Project to the United Nations Human Rights Committee Regarding Racial Disparities in the United States Criminal Justice System.” SentencingProject.org, 8/2013.
- “Racial Disparities in Incarceration Increase Acceptance of Punitive Policies.” Psychological Science, 8/5/2014.
- “Locked Up & Shipped Away: Interstate Prisoner Transfers and the Private Prison Industry.” Grassroots Leadership, 11/2013.
- “Warehoused & Forgotten: Immigrants Trapped in Our Shadow Private Prison Industry.” ACLU, 6/9/2013.
- Bringing Down the New Jim Crow (radio documentary series)
- Texas Private Prison Map
- GEO Group: Raking in Dough at the Cost of Human Suffering. (video; Brave New Films)
- Prison Inc.: The Secret Industry
Recommended Books & Reading Lists
- Burning Down the House by Nell Bernstein
- Are Prisons Obsolete? by Dr. Angela Davis
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- Assata: An Autobiography by Assata Shakur
- Essential Prison Industrial Complex Reading List (via usprisonculture.com)
Essays & Investigative Journalism
- Profiting from Prisoners. Center for Public Integrity.
- Life Cycles of Inequality Colorlines.com.
- Rikers: Where Mental Illness Meets Brutality in Jail. New York Times, 7/14/14.
- Private Prison Rap Sheets
- A Reformist In Hell. The New Inquiry, 8/11/14.
- Prison as a Border: On Gender, Globalization and Punishment. (Angela Davis & Gina Dent)